Jon Dunn has lived much of his life in California, where he became a birder at age eight, an event triggered, he says, by the life-altering appearance of a bright male Hooded Oriole in his garden. Jon has extensive knowledge of the identification and distribution of North American birds, and has published numerous papers in a wide variety of journals. He has also long been interested in Asian avifaunas. Jon has been Chief Consultant/Editor for all six editions of the National Geographic Society’s Field Guide to the Birds of North America, the most recent published in 2011. He is the co-writer and host of the two-video set Large and Small Gulls of North America, as well as co-author (with Kimball Garrett) of Birds of Southern California: Status and Distribution and the Peterson Field Guide to Warblers. Jon is a member of the Committee on Classification and Nomenclature of the American Ornithologists’ Union and the ABA Checklist Committee, and has served more than 20 years on the California Bird Records Committee. In 2012, Jon was the recipient of the ABA’s Roger Tory Peterson Award, given for a lifetime of achievements in promoting the cause of birding. Beyond birds, Jon has a keen interest in politics, history, and the cinema. Read a recent interview with Jon in Birding magazine.
Photo: Jo Heindel
- Spring Migration in the Midwest - Eastern Wood Warblers including Kirtland's (May 6-17, 2015)Tour Closed to New Bookings
- Alaska: Gambell (May 29 to Jun 7, 2015 with extensions to 10 Jun and to 12 Jun)
- Maryland and West Virginia: Birding the American Civil War - Gettysburg, Antietam, and the Appalachians (Jun 15-22, 2015)Tour Closed to New Bookings
- Arizona: Second Spring (Jul 27 to Aug 6, 2015)
- California: The South - The Southern Coast, Santa Cruz Island, the Salton Sea, and the Mojave Desert (Sep 2-12, 2015)
- Thailand: The Northwest (Feb 10-23, 2016)NEW!
- Thailand: The South - Khao Yai and Kaeng Krachen National Parks and the Spoon-billed Sandpiper (Feb 23 to Mar 7, 2016)NEW!
- Honduras: Pico Bonito Lodge, Lago de Yojoa, and La Tigra (Apr 3-12, 2016)
- Texas: The Upper Coast (Apr 14-21, 2016)
- Georgia and South Carolina - Birding the American Civil War: Savannah to Charleston (Apr 23-29, 2016)
- Spring Migration in the Midwest - Eastern Wood Warblers including Kirtland's (May 11-22, 2016)
- Texas: The Edwards Plateau and Big Bend (Apr 2017)
Updated: June 2013